Friday, April 8, 2016

A Funny Animal

When I began my anxiety journal, I began every entry with this sentence. “Anxiety is a funny animal.”  Then I would go on to describe what was going on in my mind. During a trip, we went to a zoo and the orangutans seemed to jump out at me. I bought a stuffed orange orangutan and began using it as an analogy for my anxiety.
Anxiety is a funny animal. It is awkward and hairy, big and scary. It is an orangutan named George.  George can sit calmly for long periods of time, then all of a sudden explode into a wild frenzy of energy. That is how my anxiety feels to me. Most days I am fine, then I all of a sudden I explode, my heart racing, can’t sit down, muscles tense, mind going in all directions.
My hope for myself is that by giving my anxiety a funny name and a “face” it will not scare me as much. I will be able to let the anxious times come without fighting them, knowing they will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment